Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City Planning

+5
Irpigmanbear15
Decibert
d3yci
JohnTB
goldmarine9
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City Planning Empty City Planning

Post  goldmarine9 Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 am

So to avoid just random building everywhere, we need to plan our city so it is organized and easy to navigate.

John has started the town hall and it is looking good, I just finished the Elder Hut, and Lolanthyer has started his house.

I have put signs up around our land with things that could go there, there is a spot for a housing area, a courtyard for the center of the city, and the port, which is quite a far walk away....

In my opinion, the first thing that needs to be done are the roads, once those are done, everything else can just fit into place. Of course before that, 3 houses are needed for village, so I guess thats really first, but either make your houses easy to move, or make them in an appropriate location for a straight neat road to attach to it.

After village, it should be very straight forward building to get to metro.

One thing we need is an idea for a national monument, if you have one, post it here and we can all pick and agree on one we think is the best, then we will get darkmoo to approve it.

Also, if you have any city building ideas, monument ideas, or any ideas regarding the city really, just post it here and wait for approval, that of course only applies to building not required to advance our nation.

UPDATE:
OK so even though John is in charge, its been agreed that Lolanthyer as well as myself will still be able to have a say in some decisions and in turn will be in charge in John's absence to keep things orderly.

So John has started a building trend within our city so please follow it to make the city much nicer looking.

Me and John have just discussed the port, he has given me the lead on it, I would love some help, so if anyones interested, just let me know. It will be fairly large so I request that no one builds within the vicinity of it, that shouldn't be a problem ATM because its a bit away from the city.

To go with the port, we also need a couple people who fell they can build some ships eventually, just to spruce it up.

I plan to leave room for a Tireme in there as well as a project I plan to make myself (forgot to tell you about it John)

Of course to do all this, we will need enormous amounts of wood and materials, so we encourage trading with other nations as well as your own personal gathering, there is a couple chests on the side of the town hall, you can put any spare materials in there if you wish to.

Another thing we discussed was a task system. eg. Miners, Gatherers, Farmers etc.

What this would do would ensure a steady supply line for all materials as well as give people something to do if they want, Lolanthyer is a farmer according to John, also John has told me he plans to put D3 in charge of the mines if i'm correct. so anyone else who would like a job, let John, Lolan or myself know and we will be happy to oblige.

The last thing I have to say for tonight is to try to keep roads, houses organized and not random buildings everywhere.

Thanks for reading my rambling :p

-Gold

Last edited by goldmarine9 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

City Planning Empty Re: City Planning

Post  JohnTB Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 am

its already cluttering up a little, the houses need to be made in a simmilar style. and i think the ehlders hut is 1: too far a way and 2: too distinct from the already "finished" building.
JohnTB
JohnTB
Mod
Mod

http://notharam.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:59 am

My idea for the monument would be the Midgard Serpent, a huge snake.

I dont need a luxurious home or anything, not even a chest is necessary as im looking forward to enrich the possesion of all nords not the possesion of my own.
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  Decibert Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Always so selfless... The system with laid out housing foundations in a standard size that was used for dwarfs in R3 worked really well to get a simple street plan without clutter, perhaps we need something like that. Also I won't be able to be online tonight, overtime at work, but I'm looking forward to helping out in my usual obsessive way.
Decibert
Decibert

http://www.decibert.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:48 pm

I can lay that out, it was my job in R3 as a Dwarf so i'm sure I can figure something out.
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 am

Updated information.
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  Decibert Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm

In case anyone DIDN'T notice yet, I'm obviously a miner >.>.
Decibert
Decibert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Decibert wrote:In case anyone DIDN'T notice yet, I'm obviously a miner >.>.
Deci, no matter where you go you are up to old tricks

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Celt wrote:
Decibert wrote:In case anyone DIDN'T notice yet, I'm obviously a miner >.>.
Deci, no matter where you go you are up to old tricks

What old tricks?
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  Decibert Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Obsessive mining I guess.
Decibert
Decibert

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:18 pm

UPDATE 2: OK so we are well on our way and our city is looking great, the mine is operational, the port construction has begun, and the houses are going up.

The Nords are off to a great start and we can keep it up.

So in regards to the mine, I hope everyone will follow the nice signpost Deci and D3 have set up down there, keep the mines neat and orderly. There have been lots of diamonds found so it's in a great spot.

The houses are looking good, although complex and material consuming to build, they look good.

If anyone has any ideas of how to stop the roads from being covered in snow besides covering them, we would love to hear about them since it is a big problem.

Also if anyone would like a job to do, i'm sure the miners would love the help, we also need some people to go out and gather lots of wood from the tree farm and the neutral territory. Lol has got his farms going great, I don't know if he needs help or not but feel free to ask him.

The port has got its five piers done, they can be extended if needed, the land is beginning to be flattened, of course we would love donations of cobblestone or wood for it. Also John, if you read this, don't freak out about the way it is being flattened, it's not bad now, but it will be when it's done. But not to worry, it will be corrected, I just need flat land so I can lay out and plan how it will be constructed.

Umm the marketplace, i'm not sure what is happening there, I haven't heard anything about it from anyone so I won't talk about that.

Also, we need to get a monument started in order to get to a city status, so if anyone has any ideas about that then feel free to let us know and it can get resources and can get built.

Other than that, that's pretty much all for now, keep up the good work everyone, we're doing great!
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 pm

I finally figured out how to make the roads not get snowed up.
We must make all the roads just half blocks
the edges can be normal blocks but since snow doesent fall on half blocks the road would never get snowed up. The only problem is the obsidian part.
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Yea that does present a problem, maybe we could put it one block below the half blocks so it is indented into the road, it could look cool.
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  Decibert Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:25 pm

So about a (possible) wheat farm, I have an optimized design, that doesn't maximize wheat per surface area, but harvesting speed.

This is it: City Planning 2011-010
The halfsteps cover the water. The wood blocks over the wheat next to them are to keep people from accidentally walking over tilled dirt.
Next to the tilled dirt on both sides is a walkway and another row of wheat. After that the same thing can be repeated. But obviously the LONGER this 7 block wide system is, the more efficient it gets, making it wider doesn't help as much.

So to summarize, the efficiency is in planting/harvesting at maximum speed because you can just hold W, since you can't accidentally walk over tilled dirt, while being able to reach every dropped piece of wheat without having to walk over tilled dirt.

Gentlemen; suggestions?
Decibert
Decibert

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Even tho it is in Scotland we could make the Wallace monument. It kinda goes well with our theme and it looks cool and im pretty much sure John can make it look quite splendid with his good artistic touch.

City Planning The_Wallace_Monument
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 am

The vault bellow the storehouse is finished.
I hope John will choose who the trusted members are and tell them the combination.
Hopefully one of the admins will protect the area, so people cant just dig into the vault.
I'm now planning a system to add to the vault that will prevent the doors from opening after a wrong combination is entered 5 times in a row. Entering the right combination resets the counter as long as its not 5 yet but when its five I myself will need to reset it.
The vault will be used for storing diamonds and other items of such high value.
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  Decibert Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 pm

And that is why you are our redstone man. I only hope no one trolls us with that locking system.
Decibert
Decibert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Deci, to calm you down, the area will be protected AFAIK, and I'm the only non-Nord that got a glimpse on the combination (I don't even remember it). Also, even if I remembered it, I dont need to steal diamonds and other valuables, got enough myself. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnTB Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 am

d3yci wrote:
City Planning The_Wallace_Monument

Intriguing...
JohnTB
JohnTB
Mod
Mod

http://notharam.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Irpigmanbear15 Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:36 am

A suggestion, maybe a Barracks, Training Ground (Layered ground with sand), etc.

Irpigmanbear15
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 am

We cannot use sand and barracks are allready planned.
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  Bounty_Hunter Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 am

I'm good with redstone too...
I'll be on today and maybe I can help. (if i'm allowed offcourse)

Couldn't be on for a long time, because of school and too many homework.
*crow sound* school.
Bounty_Hunter
Bounty_Hunter
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmarine9 Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 am

All help is usually welcome, and if anyone has a small project in mind, there's a 20 or so block wide area in between the port and the council hall which needs filling, if you have any ideas, go right ahead.
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post  d3yci Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:40 am

I'm currently quite busy with building my castle ruins so bounty can take my place if anyone needs redstone thingies...
d3yci
d3yci

Back to top Go down

Post  Bounty_Hunter Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Funny is, that I havent even got a house yet... and I already want to go redstone Razz
Bounty_Hunter
Bounty_Hunter
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next